Please click on the above link to see the list of skills required for the RICAS assessment and make sure you are prepared!
A split screen allows you to look at two windows at the same time.
Directions: You are going to open a Word document and create a split screen so that you can see this page and the Word document at the same time. Follow the directions on this page to complete your Word document.
Did you know you can split your screens with one screen on top of the other,or side by side?
Once you open your Word Document:
1. Type your name.
2. Change the color of your name to any color you like.
3. Center your name in the middle of the screen by using the center button.
4. Press enter two times (you should be 2 lines underneath your name)
5. Type the name of your favorite animal.
6. Make the name of your favorite animal size 72.
7. Press enter two times.
8. Type the name of your favorite color.
9. Make the name of your favorite color the color it should be (ex. if your favorite color is blue, make it blue)
10. Open a new tab on the Internet. Go to creativecommons.com. Do an Image search for your favorite animal by typing the animal name in the search box and clicking on the Google Image icon. Drag a picture of your favorite animal into your document where the name of your favorite animal used to be. (A picture will not appear, but the website address will appear)
Typing efficiently can make a big difference on the RICAS test.
Directions: Click on the links to play games below to practice typing.
Did you know you can become a much faster typist if you use the home row keys?
Many thanks to Mrs. Rose of Barrows, Ms. Tanner of Edgewood/Eden Park and Mrs. Mills of Park View for developing the information on this page. Also special thanks to Mrs. Castro of Wyman and Holden Elementary Schools in Warwick for some of this information.
Copy and Paste
Copying and pasting is when you highlight a word, sentence, paragraph or picture from one place,copy it, and then paste it somewhere else.
Directions: For this activity, you will be using Worldbook Online. Download the Word document below, open it up and perform the instructions for each question. Use the World Book Online link in this box to search, then copy and paste your answers right onto the worksheet.
Did you know that there are two ways to copy and paste?
Drag and Drop
Drag and Drop means you take an object from one place and drag it to another place.
Directions: Click on the links to play some of the games below to practice dragging and dropping.
Did you know most online games use the drag and drop skill?
To highlight text go to the beginning of what you want to highlight. Press the Ctrl key while holding down the Shift key. Then, while holding those two keys, use the right arrow keys to highlight one word at a time. If you hold down only the Shift key while using the arrow key, you will highlight only one letter at a time. Or, hold down the left mouse button and drag across the sentence on the screen.
If you want to highlight all text on a page, press the Ctrl key and the letter A key.
Practice highlighting the following text:
Practice highlighting this text. Click the mouse cursor at the start of the text, hold down the shift key, and use your arrow keys.