Summer Reading Expectations for Students Entering Grade 7
Students are expected to read two books over the summer. One of the books students are required to read is Harry Potter and the Sorcerers' Stone. The second book is a choice made from the list of books provided below.
- Read Harry Potter and the Sorcerers' Stone. The book is available free as an eBook and audiobook using the links provided below.
- Choose and read a book from the 2021 RI Middle School Book Award Nominees list (provided below).
- Print out the 7th Grade Summer Reading Guide.
- Fill out the title and author information for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and your second book selected from the list below.
- When you finish your books, answer the questions on the 7th Grade Summer Reading Guide.
- We welcome students to read multiple titles from the list below.
- We strongly advise parents/guardians to preview the content and summaries of the book options before their child chooses one to read. This will help families work together to choose a book that best fits the student’s interests, reading level, and maturity level.
- The book titles listed below are available in print, eBook or audiobook and on occasion, book on CD and portable media player (Playaway) at the public library.
- Please note that while it is not possible for your child’s teacher to have read a majority of the books on the lists we’ve provided, the selections have been vetted by well-respected panels of library media specialists and preteen/adolescent educators.
7th Grade Summer Reading Guide